Sunday, January 18, 2015

Condolences

Laurie, Jim and Noel,
I am so sad this morning that I can’t come to Eleanor’s funeral because I’ve been sick all night. My mother was going to come with me and she will be very sad as well.
I just want you all to know that she and Blaine changed my life forever in extremely significant ways. As a new clarinet student in 6th grade, your dad found out I was from Utah, asked me if I was LDS and when I said I didn’t know, he waited to talk to my mother and invited us all to church. The entire rest of my life since then has been blessed, including whom I married and what my children and grandchildren (and two new great-grandchildren) base their beliefs on.
That invitation led me to seminary where they were both incredible teachers who gave me a strong gospel foundation that has not only blessed me personally, but hundreds of children, youth, adults and investigators in three missions ( and another inner-city mission beginning next week) that I have taught over the years. My children and grandchildren have and are serving missions, teaching and raising strong families because of that foundation.
When I was in college, they saved me from breaking off my engagement with Mike by inviting me to live with them and go to school at Weber where we could spend more time together. What a choice experience that was. I loved every second of being in their home. They loved me just like a daughter and we had so much fun together. Never once did I feel like a burden on them, which I probably was. I even got to share my bedroom with little Nathan a couple of times.
When your parents and mine both moved to Utah and Mom and Eleanor became widows, they became best friends and Eleanor taught my mom how to write poetry, which she became really good at. Eleanor married Lauren and introduced Mom to Lauren’s best friend, Ben Farr and the two couples did a lot of double dating. Mom hadn’t been active in the church for several years, so Eleanor went to work on her and before long, Mom became active, got married in the temple to Ben, went on a mission togetther to Arizona and became temple workers when they got back home.
When Eleanor was the stake Relief Society president, she was assigned to do a big display at the Relief Society Building in Salt Lake. Unbeknownst to her, I was also the stake Relief Society president in Syracuse and was assigned to do a display in Salt Lake as well. I don’t remember how our paths crossed during that VERY stressful time, but when they did, she counseled with me several times on how to make the whole process easier and more meaningful. What a blessing she was to me – again.
When Blaine died, she wanted me to sing with the family at his funeral. I was so honored to think that she felt like I was part of the family. You all did and I am so grateful for that experience. I also sang a solo at his funeral, which was a great honor as well.
This all is just really a small glimpse of the many, many great experiences and blessings I have enjoyed because of your parents. My mind has just been flooded with memories, all of which are sweet.
I would have loved to see you all and heard all of the tributes given at her funeral and so would have my mother. I’m very sad that we can’t be there, but please know that we loved your mother, cherished our time with her, and look forward to seeing her beautiful high-cheek-boned face and hearing her throaty laugh in the next life.
Love,
Mike and Connee Garrett
Marietta (Mickey) Brown
— Connee Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment