Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Shannon Hildreth Merrill

Memories I have of Nana provided by Shannon Hildreth Merrill
When I was in 4-6th grade I was lucky enough to be able to spend about a week or 2 a summer with Nana. When she lived in her house that had lots of trees around it. I always had so much fun going there and felt like it was a magical place. In 5th grade we had to write a story and my story was inspired by Nana's house. It was called summer of the fairies. And Nana was a main character!
She would make Swedish pancake...s every day and every night I would sit down with her and we would watch old movies she had recorded or were her favorites. I remember one day she took me to get my hair cut at a hair school and I loved being with her and having her teach me about my appearance. Mom and Grandma Vedana came up later and said my hair was a chopped up mess!
Later on when I was in high school I would come and interview her for school projects where I would learn how she felt about things such as pearl harbor and what her life was like back then. She loved to talk about her life and i was glad to listen and learn from her. I would also come visit a lot and take my brothers and sisters swimming at her condo, and once a week clean her apartment.
When I was getting married she told me how she met great grandpa Blaine and their love story. When I was pregnant she told me of how her pregnancies were and how sick she was she couldn't even go into the kitchen, but at that time she didn't know she was pregnant she just thought there was something rotten in the cub boards or fridge and her mom had to tell her she was probably pregnant.
I would go visit her with Weston and she loved to talk, that Weston would try to keep his feet off the floor while sitting so he wouldn't fall asleep. But eventually he would give in and asleep he went and on Nana would talk!
She taught me some fun recipes and how to clean certain clothes or stains, but the best thing I've probably learned from her was how to be a righteous mom and wife. She had prophets and apostles in her house often and was able to serve them. So she taught me how to serve and how to leave a righteous legacy!
I love Nana and have lots of memories with her, but I'm glad she is reunited with grandma and her husband, and know she is happy. I wish I could come to the funeral but roads are bad and we won't be able to make it.
Love, Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment