Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tori Blonquist Powell

My beautiful and funny Nana passed away on Tuesday. This strong, independent, and classy lady taught me the value of old movies, late night hand and foot card games, and the traditions of Swedish Pancakes and corn chowder. She had some great stories and life experiences and taught us all to stand strong for our beliefs and family values. She worried about her family and loved us pretty fiercely whether we were near or far. She wasn't afraid to state her opinion and she had so...me amazing talents. One little story about her-- in 2008 when I had decided to go to Africa for the first time I went up to visit her and she let me know how concerned she was about this. She did not think it was a good idea and wanted to understand why I would travel across the world to Africa to live for months and put myself in danger and maybe even affect my future opportunities negatively. I thought about what she felt and had said and we ended up staying up late and reading the scriptures and having a wonderful Spiritual experience together. She was able to understand that I needed to go to Africa that summer and that God supported that decision. She then gave me $50 cash to use in Africa "just in case" and gave me her blessing.... Fast forward 3 months later and my group and I were stuck at the border of Rwanda and Uganda bc they were charging us $50 re entry fee that we had not known about. We had spent all of our money in Rwanda and were scrounging to get back across the border. We were stressed, we were stuck, we were worried. And then, I remembered th $50 cash from Nana I had hidden in my wallet "just in case" an emergency came up. Thanks Nana! I was able to get back into the country safely.
That was just the beginning of my many adventures that Nana supported. I felt her prayers and love thousands of miles away across the sea many times. Love her so much and grateful she hung on this long to watch me (the youngest Blonquist grandchild) grow up, get married, and meet my Boston Reed. ‪#‎grateful‬ ‪#‎nana‬ ‪#‎herlegacy‬

No comments:

Post a Comment