Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Debbie Jensen Hildreth

Memories provided by Debbie Jensen Hildreth
As a young girl living in Nebraska, I always looked forward to our summer trips to Utah. One thing I looked forward to the most was spending time with my grandmas. I felt like I had a special relationship with Nana, but that is how she made everyone feel.
When I think of Nana, I think of a beautiful, poised, cultured women. I knew she loved the Lord and loved the gospel by the way she lived her life. I always admired the way she co...uld write and put her feelings into words, her poems.
Some of my favorite memories of Nana was staying with her in Ogden and listening to her Opera music. I didn't understand a thing that was going on, but as we sat together on the couch she explained the sad stories to me. I just remember the feeling of the music and the deep sadness that was in it as they sang. Every time I hear Opera music, I think of Nana.
Nana was so patient with us. Holly, Melissa, Shauna, Brenda and I would love to put on Nana's dress up clothes and put on shows in her backyard in Ogden. We would have Nana come out and watch us as we would perform. I know now that she would of probably liked to be doing other things, put she patiently sat and watch our play and made us each feel like we were playing on Broadway.
One of my favorite and funniest memories of Nana was when Holly, Melissa, Shauna, and I went with mom and Nana to mom's 25th class reunion in Cheyenne. I had so much fun seeing and learning all about where mom and Nana lived and meeting all their friends, but when it came to sleeping at night, that was another story. We all shared a room together and Nana's snoring was so bad that all of us girls ended up on the floor, in the closet, in the bathroom with pillows over our heads. We were trying to find any place we could get away from that noise. We ended up staying up all night laughing, and we weren't laughing quietly either, we were hoping that we would wake up Nana but nothing we did disturbed her sleep. At least one person got a good night sleep that night. We tried to tell her the next day why we were so tired, but no way would she believe us!
I feel so blessed to have had such wonderful women for examples in my life. Nana, is one of those women. I love that she stood up for what was right, that she raised a righteous family, and was an example in the way she lived to the very end. I love her very much and hope that I too can become a woman like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment